Movement Lawyering Training Workshop Application
In the fall, BALT will offer a Movement Lawyering training workshop. The purpose of the training is to:
- Explore the history of activism and lawyering in Baltimore; expand the capacity of attorneys in Baltimore willing to support the fight for racial justice and state sponsored violence (physical and economic),
- Increase political education awareness amongst law students, attorneys and legal workers in the Baltimore area (with an emphasis on Black attorneys, law students and legal workers), and
- Develop a network of attorneys, legal workers and law students in the Baltimore area that are committed to applying movement lawyering principles to combat systemic inequality.
Topics will include:
- Injustice in Baltimore: 50 Years before Baltimore Uprising: A historical look at policies and laws that led to the 2015 uprising
- Movement Lawyering 101
- Political Will | Movement Lawyering during Trump and Pugh
- The Voice of the Baltimore Activist | How Should Attorneys Support the Movement?
- Are Direct Services Enough? Public Interest Landscape in Baltimore
- Applying Movement Lawyering - Where do we go from here? How can lawyers help?
If you identify as one of the following, this workshop is for you!
- African-American Lawyer/Legal Worker/Law Student
- Public Interest Lawyer
- 'Movement/Community' Lawyer
The all-day workshops will take place on September 15, 2017 and November 3, 2017. Attendees MUST be able to attend both sessions. Lunch will be provided.
Application Deadline: August 14, 2017
Application period is now closed.
Questions? Email Iman at email@example.com